Sunday, September 4, 2011



Senior Project Proposal

Today’s woman spends a large amount of time in front of a mirror applying makeup to her face.  Personally, I find the techniques and artistry of makeup application fascinating.  The intricate details of brush selection and step-by-step application processes are an art for in themselves.  Makeup is an avenue of artistic expression used by many women, and I find it breathtaking and intriguing; however, as a graphic designer, makeup is not my only outlet for artistic expression.  Digital artwork is a major piece of who I am as an artist, so much so that when I sit down in front of my work at my computer, I find my own reflection staring back at me from the screen.

Taking this notion of my computer as my mirror, I propose that my senior project be a digitalization of the processes of makeup application.

To accomplish this goal, I will begin by researching makeup application techniques thoroughly (i.e. brush selection and stroke techniques, color selection, skin tone, highlight colors, primer application, facial structure, etc.)
Next, I will photograph models (myself included) without makeup.
Then, I will use CS5 to digitally apply the makeup using the same techniques and brushes that I noted in my earlier research.

My finished products will include the following:
  •    Finalized pictures of all the women with different artistic makeup applied to their faces (i.e. mismatched eyes, featuring different eye shadow techniques on each model’s face)
  • · Zoomed in pictures of each application process (i.e. eye, hair, eyelashes, lip) with explanation of the virtual brushes, colors, and techniques used
  • ·         Original photos of each model before the digital makeup was applied.

No comments:

Post a Comment